Interconnection of 1st Order, 2nd Order, and 3rd Order Events in Influencing Coastal Usage Patterns
Sources of Information:
Library and Internet Research
Use an electronic document to present discussion - insert illustrations into Word document - submit in Turn-it-in Dropbox on Blackboard
Identify a "Cape" or a "Bay" that you would like to write about (e.g., Cape Cod, Cape May, San Francisco Bay, Narragansett Bay, Chesapeake Bay, etc.). Then answer the following questions:
(1) How was this area formed? What factors affected the development of the land/sea interface? How long ago?
(2) In terms of the time frame, describe the 1st and/or 2nd Order events that influenced the geological
structure of the area (longer ago).
(3) Describe the 3rd Order events that fashioned the land and sea interface in the area (more recently, or ongoing).
(4) Describe the resulting land uses that emanated from these formational dynamics.
How has the land use changed the area?
(5) What management programs/plans are in place to preserve the coastal character and prevent deterioration of this location? Be specific.
List all references used (including websites that you should name, as well as to provide the URL reference).
You must have at least one technical journal reference and at least one book reference (can be a textbook).
Submit your paper via the Blackboard Turn-it-in Dropbox by 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2013.
THREE PAGE LIMIT - ONE REPORT PER TEAM
Contact Professor McNally or Langlois if you have any questions.
return to top of page
Gaytha A. Langlois, Ph.D., 2002
Bryant University, Smithfield, RI 02917
Last Updated: August 2013