Scituate Reservoir Trivia
- The Reservoir drained 93 square miles of land, contained
nearly 56 billion gallons of stored water, and was thought to be
an adequate water supply for only 50 years.
- Approximately 4000-5000 bodies were moved from cemeteries in
the Reservoir basin.
- 38% of Scituate, or 25 square miles of the town's 55.28 square
miles was taken for the Reservoir.
- The Scituate Reservoir cost $20 mill to build.
- It took one full year for the Reservoir to fill up.
- Seven million trees were planted around the watershed.
- There are 28 small islands on the Reservoir property.
- The average depth of the water is 32 feet; the maximum depth
is 87 feet at the lost town of Ashland.